University of Huddersfield Archives at Heritage Quay
Located on the University of Huddersfield campus, the archives hold a range of political records relating to the history of the Labour party and left-wing thought.
The University of Huddersfield’s archive service began in the early 1990s although some of its oldest collections were gathered by the academic library (with advice from Keith Laybourn). The service moved into its new home Heritage Quay in October 2014.
The collections cover a wide range of areas but have a strong focus on Labour’s political thought and history, often linked to local organisations or people. Following a Heritage Lottery Fund project, many collections are newly catalogued and available to researchers for the first time.
- Library of Arthur Gardiner
- Robert Blatchford archive
- Colne Valley Labour Party archive
- Denby Dale Labour Party
- George Henry Wood Collection
- Garth Pratt Co-operative Society Library
- Sir Joseph Percival William Mallalieu, MP Archive
- Noreen Logan Archive (Relating to Huddersfield Labour Party)
- Huddersfield Labour Party Archive
- Independent Labour Party Pamphlets
- Left Book Club Publications Library
- Mick Clapham, MP archive
Papers from two other Labour MPs (David Hinchliffe, MP and Terry Wynn, MEP) are contained within the Rugby Football League collections.
You can browse through and download a hard copy version of the catalogues here
Opening Times (research room)
- Monday and Tuesday 9.30-17:00
- 1x Tuesday per month 13:00-19:30
Opening Times (public spaces)
- Mon-Fri 08:00-20:00
- Fri 10am-2pm
- Sat 9:00-17:00
- Sun 10:00-16:00
Full disabled access.